Phlebotomist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Collects blood specimens for use by clinicians and/or Medical
Technologists for clinical analyses, evaluations, and/or diagnostic
a specialized classification and not part of a series. Incumbents
are required to work with biohazardous bodily fluids.
Examples of Duties:
- Draws blood specimens from patients by using finger stick,
heel stick and/or venipuncture.
- Collects throat culture specimens.
- Greets patients and instructs them in proper specimen
- Labels specimens for identification purposes and enters
specimen data into computer.
- Prepares specimens for reference laboratory by using
centrifuge to spin blood.
- Maintains alphabetical filing system for patient
- Answers telephone calls and routes calls to appropriate
member of the medical or laboratory staff.
- Writes test results sent from reference laboratory into
patient report; distributes report to clinicians.
- Inventories and requisitions medical laboratory supplies;
stocks work area as needed.
- Keeps work areas clean and orderly; washes laboratory
glassware as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of various techniques in collecting specimens.
- Skill in determining most appropriate site to obtain
- Skill in filing.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
year experience in drawing blood specimens; OR, Any equivalent
combination of education and/or experience from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Photo Technician Job Description