Parking Appeals Officer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Reviews, evaluates and adjudicates parking violations contested by
university faculty, staff, students or visitors.
first in a series of two classifications. Incumbents in this
classification typically lead the work of subordinate clerical staff
and report to the Parking Appeals Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Adjudicates grievances of applicants dissatisfied with
appeals determinations contesting parking violations; renders
decisions based on parking regulations; may visit sites and
gather additional evidence during hearing process; may defend
determinations before a parking hearing board.
- Reviews mailed-in appeals or discusses in-person appeals
from faculty, staff, students and visitors regarding parking
violation notices and renders decisions based on established
- May request title searches, reviews logs and visit sites of
violation to research or verify information regarding
outstanding violations and appeals.
- Answers questions regarding parking violations.
- May attend hearings conducted by a parking appeals board to
interpret and advise on policy and procedures.
- Reviews appeals made to a parking appeals board for validity
of claim and possible adjudication of violation; may present
case or justify position before a parking appeals board.
- Updates and track logs and files for temporary permits, boot
reports, lot checks, meters, disabled vehicles, stolen decals
and other activities related to the tracking of parking
- Completes weekly reports on parking services activities for
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of state codes and regulations dealing with
enforcement of motor vehicles, bicycles and other non-pedestrian
- Knowledge of parking rules, regulations, procedures and
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in analyzing legal issues.
- Skill in administering and enforcing of rules and
Associate's degree in Business Administration or a related field AND
two years experience in the administration and/or enforcement of
rules and regulations; OR, Four years' experience in the
administration and/or enforcement of rules and regulations; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Parking Appeals Supervisor Job Description