Office Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a variety of complex office/clerical support duties related
to work unit, which require a thorough knowledge of a complete and
specialized function. Incumbents apply this specialized functional
knowledge to independently analyze and respond to administrative
matters within established limits. Advice and leadership are
available from supervisor for complex issues or those requiring
authorization such as deviation from policy. Coordinates work of
others within assigned function.
third in a series of four classifications. It is distinguished from
the Office Assistant Senior in that incumbents typically specialize
in a work unit function and also possess broader knowledge/skills
about work unit operation to allow more independence in carrying out
responsibilities. Office Specialist Senior is distinguished in that
incumbents work under own initiative in performing advanced
administrative/support duties and/or providing formalized work
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates activities of subordinates.
- Maintains a variety of records requiring classification and
compilation of varied information.
- Compiles special reports or studies where analysis of
complicated or technical data is required; identifies sources
and extracts necessary information; performs specialized
- Drafts correspondence; answers questions or complaints and
makes adjustments within established limits.
- Serves as a primary reference source for function to assist
departments and employees in resolving discrepancies or
procedural problems utilizing knowledge of specialized function;
responds to technical administrative questions ensuring
necessary follow-up is performed.
- Reviews reports and printouts to identify and trace source
of error and make necessary corrections; performs technical or
complex verification and reconciliation activities.
- Recommends changes to policies or procedures affecting
- Prepares and/or coordinates the preparation of recurring and
special reports, tabulations or budgets unique to assigned
- Ensures office staff are informed of new or revised
procedures and any pertinent information regarding assigned
function(s); updates related policy/procedure manuals.
- Checks, reviews or prepares records, reports, forms or other
documents of various kinds pertinent to assigned function(s);
personally investigates complicated problems or errors.
- Plans and prioritizes workload to meet set deadlines.
- Assists staff with special projects as directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies, practices, procedures and terminology
of assigned function.
- Knowledge of leadership practices and coordinating
activities of others.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in the operation of a variety of office machines.
- Skill in recording and compiling material for reports.
years of office/clerical experience which includes one year in a
directly related function; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Office Specialist Senior Job Description