Medical Records Technician Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
the Medical Records Supervisor with overseeing the day to day work
of personnel engaged in analyzing, compiling, coding, indexing and
filing medical records of clients.
second in a series of three classifications and is distinguished
from the Medical Records Technician in that incumbents have lead
responsibility for the section. Incumbents typically handle the more
difficult problems in the area such as irate clients, release of
confidential material and misplaced medical files. This class
typically reports to Medical Records Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the work activities of subordinates.
- Coordinates the day to day operations of medical records and
- Resolves problems that arise with releases of confidential
medical information, misplaced medical records, or irate
- Performs work of subordinates such as registering clients,
pulling and routing medical records, or coding of medical
- Releases medical information upon client's and clinician's
request, and requests medical information from other medical
- Compiles administrative and health statistics for the use of
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical records analyzing and processing
techniques and standards.
- Knowledge of medical records, guidelines and regulations.
- Skill in coordinating and leading the work activities of
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Medical Records Technology AND two years'
medical records operations experience; OR, Four years of medical
records operations experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Medical Technologist Job Description