Medical Records Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Analyzes, abstracts, codes and retrieves medical information from
medical records in the student health center.
first in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
other medical records positions in that the majority of time spent
is on determining coding numbers for treatment and diagnosis and
analyzing medical records for compliance with federal and state
regulations and standards. Typically reports to Medical Records
Examples of Duties:
- Analyzes client medical records for compliance with
applicable federal and state regulations and standards.
- Identifies documentation deficiencies such as missing
signatures and routes incomplete record to appropriate person
- Determines ICD-9-CM code numbers for client diagnosis and
- Compiles daily and monthly reports; tabulates data from
medical records for research purposes.
- Codes and enters into the computer medical information on
students treated at other facilities.
- Reports specified diseases to health department, using
- Documents client referrals to outside clinicians and
follows-up to ensure a response is received from outside
- Pulls and re-files records as needed.
- Assists with client registration and answering telephone
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical records analyzing and processing
techniques and standards.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Medical Record Technology; OR, Two years of
medical records or related experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Medical Records Technician Senior Job Description