Medical Records Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
activities of a medical records department that includes the
planning and organizing of the documentation, storage and retrieval
of medical records.
third in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the Medical Records Technician, Senior in that incumbents develop
medical records systems, develop policies and typically would
supervise the Medical Records Technician Senior in a large medical
records area. Incumbents have responsibility for the planning and
supervision of the area while the Medical Records Technician, Senior
leads the work of the staff in day to day operations.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises and coordinates the work activities of
- Implements and modifies medical records system, which
complies with licensing and ambulatory care accreditation and
- Participates in the development and implements policies to
preserve the confidentiality of information contained in the
medical records and monitors compliance.
- Resolves problems that arise with releases of confidential
medical information, misplaced medical records, or irate
- Releases medical information on client's and clinician's
request and requests medical information from other medical
- Provides medical information in response to subpoenas.
- Compiles administrative and health statistics for the use of
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical records analyzing and processing
techniques and standards.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of medical records guidelines and regulations.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Medical Records Technology AND four years'
medical records operations experience, which includes one year in a
lead capacity; OR, Six years of medical records operations
experience, which includes one year in a lead capacity; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Medical Records Technician Job Description