Media Technician Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Schedules, delivers, sets up, operates and performs demonstrations
of a variety of state of the art complex audio visual equipment,
including computer image projectors, video projectors and wireless
microphones. Provides training in equipment operations to faculty,
staff and students.
second in a series of four classifications. It is distinguished from
the Media Technician in that incumbents conduct more complex setup
of audiovisual equipment including interfacing of computer with
audiovisual equipment for conferences. Incumbents in this
classification are required to travel to off site locations and work
weekends and evenings in order to accommodate conference schedules.
Examples of Duties:
- Schedules and arranges use of audiovisual equipment for
faculty, staff and student upon request; maintains reservation
schedule including type of equipment, length of time needed and
time scheduled to return.
- Coordinates the use of audiovisual equipment on site and
ensures smooth presentations by operating equipment, adjusting
lighting and coordinating presentation materials.
- Operates computer systems for audiovisual presentations
including computer image projectors, wireless microphones,
remote controls, laser pointers, video for microscopic images,
transparency projectors, slide projectors and lenses, screens,
video projectors, players and monitors.
- Interfaces computers, sets up and presents multi-media
presentations such as interactive computer-video and
multi-imaging with dissolve units and slide/sound
- Performs preventative maintenance and cleaning on
audiovisual equipment and repairs equipment, as needed; tests
- Provides technical instruction to faculty and staff in
regard to audiovisual equipment operation.
- Determines audiovisual equipment and setup needs for off
site conferences based on size of facility and audience. Plans
system installation and physical site arrangements such as audio
levels, number of microphones needed, equipment placement and
equipment and lighting requirements.
- Interfaces computer systems, audio and video systems.
- Maintains records of equipment inventory; recommends new
equipment for purchase. Maintains supply inventory and orders
according to established department procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of audiovisual cataloging and inventory
- Knowledge and skill in operation and repair of audiovisual
- Skill in interfacing audio, video and computer equipment to
obtain desired effect.
Associate's degree or two years technical training in related field
AND one year experience in operation and maintenance of audiovisual
equipment; OR, Three years experience in operation and maintenance
of audiovisual equipment; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Media Technician Supervisor Job Description