Media Specialist Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides technical leadership and coordination for creation and
production of media projects. Supervises and informs Media
Specialist staff of media projects including budgets and production
fourth in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Media Specialist, Senior in that incumbents in this
classification provides expert technical direction to the media
services personnel. This class typically reports to Director level.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises activities of subordinates.
- Consults and negotiates with clients to determine project
objectives and production requirements such as equipment,
facility and material resources required; determines, modifies
and proposes production plans to client.
- Prepares estimates and budgets for productions; determines
most cost effective approaches. Develops requests for proposals
from outside contractors.
- Writes media program scripts; matches style and complexity
to objectives, content and design. Conducts necessary research
to obtain accurate and up to date information.
- Coordinates and participates in production of complex media
projects. Identifies and explains production needs to staff;
monitors media production through completion to ensure adherence
to deadlines and budget.
- Conducts formative evaluation of completed projects using
qualitative and quantitative research techniques.
- Provides in-house consultation to media staff on production
needs as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in media production management.
- Knowledge in evaluation techniques used in production of
media related projects.
- Knowledge and skill in evaluation techniques.
- Knowledge of supervisors practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Master's degree in Broadcast Instructional Technology,
Communications or related field AND four years media production and
design experience which includes one year supervisory experience;
OR, Ten years of media production and design experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Media Specialist Senior Job Description