Mechanician Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Fabricates, assembles, and maintains research or laboratory
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Research Laboratory Mechanician in that incumbents assist in the
design of research or laboratory equipment, in addition to directing
or assisting students with laboratory research projects.
Examples of Duties:
- Drafts final plans from engineering design sketches.
- Fabricates parts using the lathe, shaper, milling machine,
and other machine operations.
- Welds and fabricates metal parts into assemblies and
- Fabricates and constructs structural systems using wood,
plastics, and other nonferrous materials.
- Maintains and repairs machinery and structural systems.
- Supervises machine and woodworking shops, maintaining
inventory of materials and supplies.
- Directs students in research projects.
- Assists in laboratory instruction and preparation of
specimens in metallurgy and materials laboratories.
- Assists in the design of research or laboratory equipment or
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of machinist tools and machines.
- Knowledge of welding, brazing, and soldering.
- Skill in using machinist tools, machines, and application of
- Skill in mechanical drafting.
years of machinist and/or general maintenance experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Media Services Manager Job Description