Materials Supply Storekeeper Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Oversees a specialized materials supply operation and manages stock
levels and inventory status. Supervises support staff.
second in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished
from the Materials Supply Controller by the supervisory
responsibility, by the authority to order stock requiring limited
supervisor approvals and by the experience and knowledge required in
specific materials handled. Incumbents may be exposed to or required
to handle dangerous or hazardous equipment or chemicals.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Reviews stock/inventory reports and uses specialized
knowledge of goods to estimate needs and order appropriate
quantities of standard and special order items, recommends and
implements additions or deletions to standard stock items.
- Confers with vendors to ascertain the most beneficial terms
and prices for blanket and special orders.
- Prepares necessary forms or documentation for inventory
records, payment of invoices, and billing end-user.
- Dispenses stock from storeroom by measuring, counting and/or
cutting requested amounts requiring knowledge and experience
handling the goods or materials; documents for inventory and
- Receives equipment, materials, or supplies ordered verifying
against specifications on requisition or other documents.
- Counts inventory periodically and reconcile with records
and/or inventory tickets; performs annual inventory count and
reconciliation; reports to auditors or designated departments;
researches and resolves discrepancies.
- Stores materials, supplies, equipment, etc. according to
weight, temperature, size, safety precautions or other concerns.
- Advises users/customers regarding stock items or supplies
suitable for needs using knowledge of and experience with goods
- Resolves problems or complaints presented by staff and
- Keeps record of standard inventory, cost, prices and
quantity on hand.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of goods or materials in assigned storeroom.
- Knowledge of basic buying and purchasing practices.
- Knowledge of inventory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in appropriate use of goods and materials in
years' of receiving, storing, issuing supplies or related
experience, which includes one year supervisory or lead experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Mechanical Engineer Job Description