Materials Supply Controller Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Maintains inventory levels of materials by procuring commodities,
equipment, or supplies for a university department. Completes
requisitions, for purchase of small dollar amount items. Maintains
inventory levels and any related records. Incumbents typically work
within a department, supply room or warehouse. Incumbents monitor
the use and issuance of materials and are responsible for
maintaining adequate levels of inventory through purchase or
requisition of commodities within the scope of established
guidelines or limits.
first in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from
the Materials Supply Storekeeper in that the higher level has
supervisory responsibility, typically has full authority on
ordering, and has specialized knowledge acquired through experience.
Examples of Duties:
- Requisitions equipment, materials and/or supplies for
incoming orders according to established policy and procedures;
determines what can be purchased and what needs to be
requisitioned; prepares purchase requisitions for approval.
- Monitors and reviews inventory levels by physical count,
recordkeeping, and/or visual inspection to identify need for
purchasing materials, equipment, or supplies.
- Inspects and verifies deliveries and reconciles invoice
against purchase orders checking cost, amount delivered, amount
ordered; authorizes payment and initiates paperwork to close out
- Issues or distributes materials, supplies, equipment to
staff from stock; divides or cuts stock to size for filling
orders; reviews authorization and applies proper charge codes.
- Answers questions concerning purchase requisitions and
purchases from the purchasing department, department staff, or
- Contacts vendors to obtain price or other information, to
follow up on delivery dates, late deliveries, shortages, or
overages; ensures action is taken to correct problem.
- Maintains requisitions or orders manually or in automated
system to track status of purchases and compile reports.
- Maintains records of prices, quality, quantity and delivery
- Maintains a variety of records, such as inventory costs,
retail prices, quality, quantity on hand, damaged stock, etc;
provides regular reports for supervisor.
- Stores materials, supplies, equipment, etc. according to
weight, temperature, size, safety or other requirements; marks
stock items and/or shelves, bins, etc. with identifying codes,
letters or figures.
- Moves or transports items in stock to other areas using hand
truck or other materials handling equipment.
- Trains new workers in area operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of clerical, purchasing activities.
- Knowledge of inventory or store keeping principles and
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years' receiving, storing, issuing supplies or related experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Materials Supply Storekeeper Job Description