Marketing Specialist Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
in the marketing operations, advertising and/or sales for public
events held at the university facility(s) or various university
programs or of scholarly and general trade books.
first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Marketing Specialist in that incumbents typically assist a
Marketing Specialist who promotes public events, various university
programs or scholarly and general trade books.
Examples of Duties:
- Writes descriptive copy for books, catalogs, advertisements
or book jackets.
- Prepares general catalogs of books by writing copy,
gathering bibliographic data, determining layout and
- Prepares subject area catalogs and brochures for promotional
- Obtains mailing lists from appropriate sources, schedules
mailings of informational material and analyzes effectiveness of
- Assists in the development and design of advertisements for
- Analyzes the work of sales representatives to ensure maximum
distribution of materials to retail outlets.
- Evaluates exhibit opportunities for exposure and travels to
professional meetings to exhibit products.
- Analyzes sales and advises management of need to increase or
decrease inventory. Works with order department and shipping to
ensure proper priorities in filling orders.
- Assists in the implementing of ongoing mass marketing or
programs for university facility(s) or various university
programs in conformity with organizational goals and objectives.
- Assists in the preparation of a master calendar/schedule of
events or classes for use in advertising.
- Updates catalog information and inform customers of price
- Works through vendors and contractors to coordinate media
placement and printing of various brochures, articles and
schedules; coordinates distribution of printed material.
- Edits, takes photos and determines layout of promotional and
information materials including brochures, flyers, slides,
presentations, press releases and feature articles; oversees
production of materials.
- Tracks ticket sales, book sales or enrollment in programs in
order to monitor advertising effectiveness.
- Attends events in order to interact with public and respond
to minor problems and/or questions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of media placement and graphic design concepts.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of marketing.
- Skill in marketing, slide presentations or publications.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Marketing or related field AND two years
experience in development of comprehensive marketing plans and of
book trade experience; OR, Four years in the development of
comprehensive marketing plans or of book trade or advertising
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Mason Job Description