Mail Services Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises day to day operations of mailroom facilities and Mail
Clerks. Ensures all deadlines for mailings are met.
third in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Mail Services Manager in that incumbents spend a percentage of
time performing Mail Clerk duties, while the Mail Services Manager
spends the majority of work time in supervision of subordinates.
Typically reports to the Mail Services Manager.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Schedules employees at appropriate workstations to ensure
work is most effectively distributed.
- Opens substation or contract station and prepares for daily
operations; processes daily revenues and prepares necessary
- Performs work of subordinate personnel such as mail sorting,
delivery and waiting on postal customers.
- Schedules route, meter machines and mail processing
assignments; rotates assignments and routes as needed.
- Maintains supply inventory; and orders supplies according to
established departmental procedures.
- Maintains accurate records of stamp stock and meter postage;
prepares daily cash receipts forms.
- Answers questions and resolves problems between university
mail services and university employees, vendors, United States
Postal Service and the public.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of postal regulations and operations.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in scheduling planning work of others.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years' mailroom services experience, which includes one year of lead
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
been achieved. Possession of a current Arizona Class II driver's
license is required upon employment.
Next: Maintenance Inspector Job Description