Mail Services Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and manages services and activities of university mail facility.
fourth in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
Mail Services Supervisor classification in that it normally
supervises first line supervisors as well as Mail Clerks in
performance of mailroom duties and has involvement in setting goals
and objectives for mail services. Typically reports to a Director or
Assistant Director of Services.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Prepares annual mail services budget by forecasting
equipment purchase and repair, labor costs and projected postage
required; monitors projects and operations in regard to progress
- Seeks ways to reduce mailroom costs; implements cost savings
programs and procedures to increase efficiency.
- Promotes mail services throughout the university community
by providing information on mail services through classes or
- Recommends change to mail services policies and procedures
to Director; maintains policy and procedural manuals for
mailroom operations; informs mailroom staff of changes made to
policies and procedures.
- Participates in setting goals and objectives for mail
facility and services.
- Conducts staff meetings as necessary in regard to changes in
such items as postal regulations and routing.
- Maintains safe working environment in accordance with OSHA
and risk management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of postal and federal policies, statutes,
procedures and regulations.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of budgetary procedures, fiscal projections and
- Knowledge of computer operations as it relates to mail
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Business Administration or related field AND
four years' related mailroom operations experience which includes
two years' supervisory experience; OR, Six years mailroom operations
experience which includes two years' supervisory experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Mail Services Supervisor Job Description