Machinist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and operates metal fabricating machines. This is a journey-level
classification. Working conditions include restricted movement,
dirty environment, air contamination, extreme temperatures, intense
noise, hazardous materials, lifting or carrying heavy objects.
first in a series of two classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Fabricates a wide variety of metal components through the
set-up and operation of lathes, shapers, milling machines, drill
presses, and similar equipment, gauging work carefully by using
precision measurement tools.
- Operates welding and soldering equipment, and uses hand
tools in the fabrication of mechanical devices.
- Fabricates jigs and fixtures.
- Repairs and maintains machine shop equipment; repairs
precision instruments, stokers, gear boxes, air compressors, and
- Replaces shafts, bearings, bushings, belts, shear pins,
pulleys, and gears.
- Fabricates and repairs scientific research equipment,
prototypes, and mechanical equipment.
- Participates in the design of some scientific apparatus.
- Installs machine shop equipment.
- Repairs and maintains machine shop equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operation of lathes, shapers, milling
machines, drill presses, and other related equipment.
- Skill in the operation of lathes, shapers, milling machines,
drill presses, and other related equipment.
years' machinist experience; OR, Completion of a four year machinist
training program and two years of machinist experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education
approved by the Human Resources Department.
Next: Mail Clerk Job Description