Instructional Aide Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
with children and/or adults to provide intervention and/or
instructional or supervisory services to foster emotional and
educational development. Follows program plan as developed by
supervisor. Incumbents in this classification may perform their work
in classrooms, in homes, or in non-classroom areas.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Administers assessment tests to children and/or adults used
in development of individualized program plans for physical,
mental, and/or educational activities.
- Arranges times to visit client in home; initiates activities
of individualized program plan.
- Collects data and maintains documentation on progress
regarding each area of training such as cognitive, physical, and
- Plans and prepares lesson plans for group activities, and
gathers necessary materials and supplies required; employs
various teaching methods to promote learning and implement
- Participates in monthly meetings between parents and program
- Assists in teaching parents how to work with their children
in order to foster educational and emotional development;
assists classroom teacher with special projects or activities.
- Assists with teacher directed activities by operating
audiovisual equipment, distributing classroom materials, or
monitoring activities of children.
- Assists parents of child or adult in completing necessary
forms for participation in programs.
- Maintains classroom that includes cleaning tables and
chalkboards and sweeping floors.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in developing activities to enhance child development.
- Skill in working with children.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
year instructional aide or related experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Instructional Specialist Job Description