Horticultural Specialist Lead Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and develops horticultural collections at the Horticultural Resource
Center. Collects, maintains and cares for plants at the
Horticultural Resource Center and plans and conducts tours for the
third in a series of three classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Manages the computerized plant collection database.
- Oversees the Horticultural Resource Center library of
- Manages the Arboretumís nursery of woody ornamentals,
floriculture and succulent plant collections, including
propagation, irrigation, plant care, and plant protection.
- Participates in garden planning and developing of
- Mixes soils for plant beds and containers in the campus
- Coordinates the activities of other personnel in care and
maintenance of plants and grounds; coordinates the activities of
Horticultural Specialists regarding demonstration gardens, plant
propagation and other Horticultural Resource Center activities.
- Oversees new plant introductions and propagation of new
species to be introduced to the campus plant collection.
- Plans and conducts tours and interpretive presentations of
the Horticultural Resource Center and All America Display Garden
selections; answers questions on a broad range of horticultural
- Oversees research projects and student work-study programs
that take place on campus and at the Horticultural Resource
- Collects, compiles and analyzes data on experiments; writes
evaluations of findings, on campus as well as at the
Horticultural Resource Center.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles of horticulture.
- Knowledge of modern research methods, data collection and
- Knowledge of a variety of landscaping techniques.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill with microcomputers, databases and statistics.
Bachelor's degree in Horticulture, Plant Science or related field
AND three years of Horticulture or related experience; OR, Seven
years of Horticulture or related experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Horticultural Technician Job Description