HVAC Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises the installation, repair, overhaul, and maintenance of
fifth in a series of five classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Prepares material and labor estimates.
- Prepares sketches of proposed work, and assists in the
design and specifications of planned jobs or contracts.
- Establishes, assigns, and adjusts work methods and
procedures to meet schedules using knowledge of capacities and
capabilities of personnel and equipment.
- Initiates measures to improve methods, equipment
performance, and quality of work.
- Ensures budgeting guidelines are met; prioritizes
expenditures to stay within budget; assists in the preparation
of capital and operations budgets.
- Interprets policies to assigned personnel, and enforces
safety regulations and adherence to proper codes and standards.
- Recommends or initiates action involving promotions,
transfers, disciplinary action, and motivation of employees.
- Maintains records and files, including the approval of time
cards and absences, and submits as required.
- Trains and instructs employees in new methods or procedures.
- Maintains responsibility for the correct stock levels of
repair or replacement parts.
- Inspects work in process to insure its completion within
allotted time limits and for acceptable quality standards.
- Coordinates with suppliers, contractors, engineers, and
others concerning equipment operations or maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of operation, maintenance, and repair of
- Knowledge of budgetary practices and principles.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in operation, installation, maintenance, and repair of
- Skill in estimating time and materials.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in applying supervisory techniques.
years of progressively responsible HVAC/refrigeration equipment
installation, repair, and maintenance experience, which includes one
year of supervisory experience; OR, Completion of a four-year
federally approved technical training program in the repair and
maintenance of HVAC/ refrigeration AND three years of progressively
responsible HVAC/refrigeration equipment installation, repair and
maintenance which includes one year of supervisory experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Some
positions may require Chloroflourocarbons Certification upon
employment. Some positions may require a current Arizona driver's
license upon employment.
Next: Industrial Hygienist Job Description