Graphic Artist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Produces graphics to be used in various publications such as
university newspaper or events calendar according to established
specifications. Prepares advertisements by producing layout and
paste-up for printing. Incumbents in this classification are
required to work within established deadlines inherent to publishing
first in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Graphic Designer in that work is typically performed according
to established formats or specifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Creates, designs and produces artwork for signage, posters
and flyers from client specifications; determines most cost
effective way to meet client requirements considering legibility
and space requirements.
- Mounts, mats, labels and frames photographs and other
scientific visual materials for display and exhibit purposes
following client specifications; makes composition material and
type size decisions.
- Creates, designs and produces charts, graphs, simple
illustrations, cartoons and scientific exhibits from client
specifications; makes effective compositional decisions for the
specified display data and uses various production techniques
which may include computer graphic systems and software.
- Produces photomechanical transfer prints from artwork making
appropriate exposure and enlargement/reduction decisions.
- Coordinates with client to discuss ad specifications or
other work orders as needed.
- Prepares master calendar of events by receiving pertinent
information and entering into computer; prepares camera-ready
layout by cropping photos, providing logos and preparing paste
- Assists with maintenance of art supply inventory by
informing supervisor of supplies needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in graphic design and layout.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Graphic Art or related field; OR, Two years
graphic or commercial art experience; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Graphic Designer Job Description