General Maintenance Mechanic Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and maintains machinery, plumbing, physical structure, and
electrical wiring and fixtures.
first in a series of five classifications. This is a journey-level
Examples of Duties:
- Performs the more complex plumbing, electrical and carpentry
maintenance and repairs such as replacing solenoid valves,
switches, relays, and thermostats, rewiring appliances,
constructing partitions and small out buildings, and installing
plumbing pipe and related plumbing fixtures.
- Performs general painting, plumbing, electrical and
carpentry repairs, such as unstopping clogged sinks, drains, and
garbage disposals, resetting circuit breakers, replacing cord
caps, buffer switches, and light switches; makes minor repairs
to heating, refrigeration, air conditioning units, and other
electrical equipment; repairs damaged walls and doors; paints
inside and outside building walls; replaces windows; refinishes
and repairs furniture.
- Uses power and hand tools to perform repair and maintenance
- Operates forklifts, dollies, and other basic loading and
unloading equipment as required.
- Drives trucks to transport materials such as furniture,
supplies, or equipment as required.
- Services equipment used by oiling, greasing, and adding gas
- Provides technical direction, coordinates the work
schedules, and reviews the performance of assigned personnel.
- May install and maintain fixtures and facilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of building and equipment maintenance/repair
- Skill in applying building and equipment maintenance/repair
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of general maintenance and repair experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved. Some
positions in this classification may be required to obtain a current
Arizona Type D driver's license upon employment. Some positions in
this classification may be required to obtain an Environmental
Protection Agency Type 1 refrigeration license upon employment.
Next: General Maintenance Mechanic Lead Job Description