Editor Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Evaluates, edits and rewrites manuscripts prior to publication.
Examines publications to ensure grammatical consistency and
organizes printers' proofs from galley through reproduction proof
first in a series of three classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Reads and evaluates manuscripts and ensures accuracy,
correct grammar, consistency in style and readability.
- Write captions for illustrations.
- Confers with other members of staff concerning edited
- Secures reproduction permission for copyrighted materials.
- Compiles and creates segments of publication not provided by
the author, or not prepared by the author in a suitable fashion
for the demands of the publication.
- Organizes formats of indexes, bibliographies and footnotes.
- Confers with authors about problems with style and grammar.
- Coordinates work activities of student or other workers.
- Select and arrange favorable comments from book reviewers to
be used for jacket advertisements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and skill in language required for editing and
proofing of written material.
- Knowledge of publication format and editorial practices.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or related field; OR, Four
years of experience in editing, journalism or editorial research;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Editor Associate Job Description