Curatorial/Museum Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
in museum collection management and/or planning and production of
museum exhibits and preservation of collection. Conducts research on
objects in collection. Oversees museum gift shop.
second in a series of three classifications and is distinguished
from the Curatorial/Museum Specialist, Senior in that incumbents in
this classification do not possess management responsibility for
museum exhibits and collection preservation and storage. It is
distinguished from the Exhibit Specialist series in that the primary
purpose of this series is research, cataloging and preservation as
opposed to exhibit design and preparation.
Examples of Duties:
- Catalogues, preserves, stores and evaluates museum objects
according to curatorial standards.
- Researches database of collection pieces; retrieves relevant
information and prepares research documentation in response to
requests from curators, staff or museum patrons.
- Designs and/or consults with technical personnel regarding
data base changes, development or enhancement for file
management and retrieval.
- Maintains computerized management system regarding all
information on collection pieces; updates information as
- Independently identifies and solves collection conservation
problems including poor storage materials, problems with prints,
insect infestations and dirt/dust problems.
- Leads and instructs students and graduate assistants in
preservation, cataloging and storage of museum objects.
- Coordinates workshops, tours or other educational programs
for community, such as schools or various organizations; plans
programs; writes and designs materials and brochures.
- Oversees museum gift shop; selects and purchases
merchandise, maintains computerized inventory system; prepares
budget and maintains cash reports; designs posters and cards for
- Coordinates museum openings, receptions and other special
events; prepares press releases, invitations and other
promotional materials and oversees distribution.
- Maintains supply inventory; orders or purchases supplies
according to established department procedure.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in cataloging, accessioning and
preserving museum collections.
- Knowledge and skill in museum exhibit development.
- Skill in research methods.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, Museum Studies, Art or related
field AND one year museum curatorial and/or registration experience;
OR, Five years museum curatorial and/or registration experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Curatorial/Museum Specialist Senior Job Description