Construction Inspector Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Inspects construction to assure compliance with contract documents,
specifications and building codes.
the first in a series of two classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Inspects construction progress which may include ensuring
procedures and materials comply with specifications; observes
work in progress to assure conformance with requirements and
- Reviews contract plans and specifications for compliance
with appropriate building codes and project requirements.
- Prepares reports.
- Reviews existing mechanical systems for safety requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of building construction, materials
- Comprehensive knowledge of all applicable building codes and
of electrical, plumbing, mechanical and related codes.
- Skill in reading and interpreting plans and specifications
to compare them with construction in progress.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Ability to communicate well at all levels of the
years of experience in commercial construction, which includes one
(1) year of experience as an inspector; OR, Any equivalent
combination of education and/or experience from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved; AND, One (1)
Certification by the International Code Council (ICC/ICBO), e.g.
Building Inspector, Plumbing Code, Electrical Code, Mechanical Code,
Plans Review; AND, Ability to obtain one (1) additional ICC/ICBO
certification within five (5) months of hire and maintain throughout
employment, to equal a minimum of two (2) certifications, one of
which must be a Building Inspector certification.
Next: Costume Shop Coordinator Job Description