Computing Site Operator Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises a shift of computing site operators located in various
decentralized computing sites for faculty, staff and students,
assists in operation of supporting peripheral equipment.
third in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the second in that incumbents in this classification supervise a
shift of computing site operators.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Resolves complex operational malfunctions by revising
existing operating techniques and procedures or devising new
- Supervises work projects and computer job runs for
conformance with department standards and procedures and
recommends necessary changes.
- Maintains orientation and training program and procedures
for student and staff operators; updates materials as needed;
compiles training packets; answers questions; evaluates staff
needs; documents and files records of participation; coordinates
- Establishes and maintains supply inventories for computer
sites; determines quantity of supplies to stock based on usage;
assists staff with inventory; prepares blanket orders; follows
up on back orders.
- Interacts with customers to insure fulfillment of their
- Interacts with central computer site, helpdesk, technical
support staff and vendors to resolve interfacing problems,
equipment problems, or discuss computing site issues.
- Reviews security procedures of subordinate staff and insures
that computing standards are maintained.
- Reviews documentation, written procedures, new forms or
logs, for conformance with operational standards and procedures
and recommends necessary changes.
- Completes reports relating to staffing, machine utilization
and shift operations.
- May operate computer and peripherals.
- Coordinates operator assistance for hardware/software
testing and training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
computer operations appropriate to the assignment.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures.
- Knowledge of the job control language appropriate to the
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's Degree in Computer Science or related field AND two
years' experience in the operation of computer equipment appropriate
to the assignment which includes one year supervisory experience;
OR, Three years' experience in the operation of computer equipment
appropriate to the assignment which includes one year supervisory
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Concessions Worker Job Description