Computing Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and organizes activities of a computing section in areas such as a
Computing Research Lab, University Administrative Systems, or
Academic Computing. Manages workload of a technical staff,
establishing goals and objectives for the group.
the second in a series of three classifications. This position would
typically report to a Principal Computing Manager, Assistant
Director or Director.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Develops long range plans, schedules work projects, monitors
workload and progress.
- Provides technical expertise and direction in computer
applications, systems projects and problems.
- Recommends actions to improve workflow, simplify operational
and reporting procedures, and improve performance standards.
- Maintains an adequate training system to develop technical
and supervisory skills of subordinates; responsible for the
orientation of personnel to assignments.
- Maintains work, time and cost records.
- Writes a status report, including conclusions and
recommendations for solution of problems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of computing
equipment, software and its application.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices. developments and
techniques of providing computing service in an academic and/or
- Knowledge of the practices and principles of group
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Management Information
Systems AND six years of computing experience, which includes two
years of supervisory experience; OR, Eight years of direclty related
computing experience, which includes two years of supervisory
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Computing Manager Assistant Job Description