Computer Communications Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Maintains, develops, and operates high-speed communications network
facilities, including links, switching systems and network
monitoring and control facilities.
first in a series of four classifications. Incumbents in this class
act as consultants to systems users by responding to trouble calls,
recommending solutions and/or resolving network problems.
Examples of Duties:
- Researches specific technical hardware and software related
questions and problems from management, programming, operations,
systems and maintenance personnel as well as users.
- Coordinates as liaison with systems, operations and
maintenance personnel computing facilities connected to the
communication network on matters of network hardware and
software interfacing and services, and problem resolution.
- Prepares documentation on hardware and software, interface
specifications, protocols, and communication operation and
maintenance practices as well as problem resolutions.
- Instructs and assists new users in accessing various
- Develops, operates and maintains network checks to test and
evaluate the accessibility of modems and computers for users.
- Reviews and evaluates hardware and software available
through vendors of communication system components.
- Writes programs and protocols, and codes software to test
and monitor systems using appropriate programming language.
- Reviews and analyzes hardware and software specifications
for completeness and compatibility with communication network
- Installs and/or plans and coordinates the installations and
implementation of hardware and software elements of the
communication network and the implementation and certification
of hardware and software elements which interface with the
- Recommends communications system operating and maintenance
techniques, practices and procedures and monitoring and control
functions at the network and subsystem level.
- Revises, enhances and maintains vendor-supplied
communications system hardware and software components to
optimize performance of the communication network.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and capabilities of high-speed
communication network hardware, software and protocols currently
- Knowledge of the principles, of communication system
operation, maintenance, monitoring and control.
- Knowledge of multiprogramming computer operating system
methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of software
- Skill in the use of programming languages, hardware and
protocols specific in to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Communications Systems Engineering, Electrical
Engineering or related field AND two years of high-speed circuit or
packet switched data network experience; OR, Four years of
communication systems design, implementation, operation or
maintenance experience which includes one year of high speed circuit
or packet switched data networks experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Communications Specialist Coordinator Job Description