Center Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates center research activities and functions of a designated
research center project independently to ensure that goals and
objectives specified for the center are accomplished in accordance
with priorities, time limitations, funding limitations or other
specifications. Market, promote and coordinate center research
activities for community, businesses and individuals in order to
increase the university's role in business research.
first in a series of two classifications. Both positions perform
similar duties, but the Center Manager is distinguished from this
classification as the duties are more independent and has overall
responsibility for the center's activities. Incumbent may act as
Examples of Duties:
- May coordinate or supervise the activities of subordinates.
- Serves as a liaison with external public agencies,
particularly in relation to their advisory and financial support
of center, including working in fundraising relating to
memberships in center and sponsorships of center activities and
related to the university and college development/capital
- Writes communication and promotional literature for
distribution such as newsletter, brochures or flyers and
coordinates printing and distribution.
- Coordinates activities of center with other projects,
departments or staff to ensure optimum efficiency and compliance
with appropriate policies, procedures and specifications.
- Prepares periodic reports, financial statements and records
on center projects, progress, status or other special reports
for management or outside agencies.
- Develops and recommends new or revised research goals and
- Develops and schedules center research activity work plan in
accordance with specifications and funding limitations; oversees
daily operations and coordinates activities of the work plan,
- Prepares or assists in preparation of proposal for funding
and/or funding continuation from outside sponsors.
- Evaluates center activities for effectiveness and develops
improved methods; devises evaluation methodology and implements;
analyzes results and recommends and/or takes appropriate action.
- Reviews applications or other center documents independently
or in conjunction with supervisor to determine acceptance or
make decisions pertaining to the center.
- Maintains direct contact with personnel of various outside
organizations and university departments associated with center
- Confers with and advises staff, students and others to
provide technical advice, problem solving assistance, answers to
questions and center goals and policy interpretations; refers to
appropriate department or person when unable to respond.
- Books and schedules facility and services for center
projects/events; negotiates and prepares rental contract
determining fees and terms of contract; estimates costs and
determines project/event budgets.
- Serves as center representative during projects by
responding to and resolving emergency situations and ensures all
aspects of projects/events are implemented and controlled
according to plans.
- Coordinates project logistics.
- Performs functions related to specific projects assigned
such as tracking project/event attendance or other unique
- Provides assistance and information to faculty, staff and
outside organizations regarding center research and projects;
maintains contact via telephone or written correspondence.
- Recruits center participants and members utilizing the most
appropriate promotional or marketing methods such as individual
letters, brochures or presentations at meetings.
- Represents center in public relations/liaison capacity on
matters relating to the center's research and projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of issues pertaining to area of assignment.
- Knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles.
- Knowledge of organizational practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in organizing work of self and others.
- Skill in both verbal and written communications.
Bachelor's degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND
five years' administrative/coordinate project experience; OR, Nine
years of progressively responsible administrative/coordinate project
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Center Manager Job Description