Buyer Associate Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Purchases materials, equipment, supplies and services in accordance
with prescribed purchasing regulations and procedures. Reviews and
analyzes purchase requisitions, investigating and developing sources
of supplies, prepares routine bid specifications, issues bid
requests, reviews quotations, interprets purchasing procedures to
departments and vendors, acting as a liaison between user
departments and vendors.
first in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Buyer in that the Buyer Associate does not perform specialized
or complex purchasing transactions that require the development of
Examples of Duties:
- Examines departmental purchase requisitions for completeness
and accuracy of provided information necessary for the buying
- Secures bids on requisitions or processes them for purchase;
prepares bid invitations and recommends approval of bids most
advantageous to the university.
- Confers with departments with respect to questionable items
on the requisition and interprets purchasing procedures to
- Seeks new sources of supplies for materials and equipment
and secures terms favorable to the university.
- Maintains catalog library on special commodity items.
- Maintains records of supplies, amounts ordered, and
received, and actual sales records on items and vendors.
- Develops and refines specifications for requested
commodities, supplies or equipment working with requesting
department to identify needs.
- Interviews sales representatives to develop new sources of
supplies, secures favorable terms for the university, and
updates records and files; secures samples, descriptions, photos
or information for departments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of purchasing practices and procedures.
- Skill in preparing specifications and analyzing bids.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
Associate's degree in related field AND one year of purchasing,
expediting or directly related experience; OR, Three years of
purchasing, expediting or directly related experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Buyer Senior Job Description