Assistant Sports Information Director Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Develops and administers the flow of sports news related to assigned
sports programs, representing the University to the media. Adheres
to NCAA and PCA-10 rules and regulations, as well as policies of the
University, Department, and Arizona Board of Regents.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Prepares press releases for local newspapers and radio
stations; primary, secondary and extended newspapers
(metropolitan, dailies, weeklies), radio stations, wire services
and TV stations; hometown news media of student athletes;
hometown news media of athletic staff and sports guests of the
University; and state, national and international magazines.
- Responds to statistical and other report requirements for
the NCAA, PAC-10, intercollegiate opponents, various
periodicals, journals and magazines, major television networks,
national wire services and other print and electronic services,
including TheSunDevils.com website. Prepares and designs media
guides. May assist in the preparation of official game programs.
- Responds to media requests for specific news articles, fax
material, photography sessions, radio and TV interviews, TV
segments and features for publications. Schedules and
coordinates student athlete and coaches’ interviews for assigned
- Provides pre-and post-game statistical information and notes
plus any other data the media requires in cumulating the sports
events at the University.
- Writes and edits feature articles for various University
publications. Initiates information dissemination projects with
national and regional magazines and wire services and responds
to requests for information and articles. Gathers materials,
edits, and writes news.
- Responsible for ASU Athletics Web site management, in
particular information disseminated.
- Maintains all statistical information, historical data,
photo and slip files for assigned sports programs.
- Responsible for arranging and distributing photographs with
cut lines for newspapers, wire services, magazines and related
- Prepares promotional or public relations materials.
- Travels with assigned sports teams to away events.
- Serves as liaison between department and printer venders.
- May supervise student workers, grad assistants, interns.
- May be responsible for photography at ASU events.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of news, reporting, and editing principles,
practices, and techniques.
- Knowledge of public relations principles, practices, and
- Knowledge of printing and graphics.
- Knowledge of NCAA and PAC-10 rules and regulations.
- Skill in verbal and written communications.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in file maintenance.
- Ability to coordinate meetings, interviews.
- Ability to travel with teams.
- Ability to work varied schedules.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field
AND two (2) years experience in sports information; OR, six (6)
years of directly related sports information experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which
comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Associate Sports Information Director Job Description