Animal Technician Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
the work of Animal Technicians and Animal Caretakers in the care,
feeding and watering of animals and in the cleaning of the
facilities. Performs rounds to check cleanliness of animal rooms and
condition of animals. Feeds, waters and cares for laboratory
third in a series of seven classifications and is distinguished from
the Animal Technician in that incumbents lead the work of other
staff employees and make rounds of the facility to check condition
of animals and cleanliness of rooms.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Performs rounds to observe and check the physical health and
well being of laboratory animals and the heating, cooling and
lighting systems for the facility; reports problems and/or
malfunctions to appropriate party.
- Administers medications and treatments to animals, as
- Feeds, waters and cares for animals.
- Checks animal rooms and cages for cleanliness, ensuring that
federal standards are being met; cleans and sanitizes rooms and
- Assigns and allocates space for animals; inventories and
keeps records of each animal.
- Assists in departmental planning of goals and objectives.
- Coordinates the maintenance or maintains breeding colonies
of various animals which include breeding, feeding, weaning and
keeping records of activities.
- May assist investigators or veterinarian in teaching
exercises, anesthesia or surgery, as directed.
- May euthanize animals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the environmental conditions necessary for the
care and use of laboratory animals.
- Knowledge of the feeding and reproduction of a variety of
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Laboratory Animal Technology or related field
AND two (2) years of animal husbandry experience; OR, four (4) years
of animal husbandry experience; OR, American Association for
Laboratory Animal Science certification as a Laboratory Animal
Technician; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Animal Technologist Job Description