Accounts Payable Operations Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
organizes, and manages the operations and activities of a
centralized disbursement function which includes responsibilities
for Travel, Data Entry and Invoice Processing. Supervises employees,
monitors activities and ensures reporting requirements are met.
first in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from
the Accounts Payable Manager in that incumbents assist in decision
making, policy development and implementation with emphasis on
technical expertise and day to day operating decision making.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises the activities of subordinates.
- Creates and implements changes to work assignments, methods
or procedures to meet operational needs, improve accuracy and
efficiency of the related system.
- Analyzes, resolves and answers complex or difficult problems
presented by subordinates and university staff, students,
faculty or vendors.
- Recommends and assists in implementing changes to department
policy or procedure to ensure integrity of the related systems.
- Provides accounts payable and travel policy and procedure
training for university faculty and staff.
- Communicates compliance problems to supervisor for
- Reviews statistical reports submitted by staff to monitor
activities, anticipate problems and ensure accurate recording of
transactions submitted to financial systems.
- Oversees maintenance of disbursement record retention that
requires recommending revisions to the existing schedule and
- Determines if financial and internal controls are adequate
to meet management objectives and makes recommendation for
improvements; recommends and implements security and system
- Reviews and evaluates computer hardware and software to
determine its usefulness and appropriateness as related to
existing or proposed administrative systems; assists with the
development of preliminary and detailed system design documents
for in-house and vendor computer systems.
- Performs research, including conferring with vendors, to
resolve technical questions and problems related to computer
hardware and software.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, practices, regulations, and
procedures as they relate to purchasing and accounts payable.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the application of data processing techniques
to accounting systems.
- Knowledge of automated and manual management information
- Knowledge in forms design and procedures development.
- Skill in public relations.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related area AND one
year accounts payable, accounting or directlyrelated experience
which includes one year of supervisory experience; OR, Five years'
of progressively responsible accounts payable, accounting or
directly related experience which includes one year of supervisory
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Accounts Receivable/Cashiering Manager Job Description