Word Processing Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Operates sophisticated software packages, word processing and
peripheral equipment to record, edit, store, revise, convert and
print correspondence, reports, manuscripts, statistical tables,
forms and other materials utilizing clerical and computer skills and
knowledge of word processing functions. Assignments involve complex,
technically oriented documents and involve use of specialized
software packages or equipment for equations, scientific notation,
tables, formulas, graphics, desktop publishing or database.
third in a series of three classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Reviews rough draft and copy to determine procedures to be
followed regarding material to be prepared or revised, the
requested format for finished copy, the equipment/software to
use and the time involved on the project.
- Word processes or keys original material into machine memory
from printed copy, machine dictation or handwritten materials.
- Locates documents in files when revisions are requested and
inserts, deletes, corrects, repositions or reformats document.
- Operates peripheral equipment such as printers, copiers or
dictaphones to produce documents.
- Identifies and takes corrective action to resolve routine
- Reads proof copy of documents entered into machine memory,
and corrects typographical and grammatical errors; prints out
final copy and records material for future reference.
- Performs applications programming operations (macros) for
the input, storage, revision and retrieval of data from the word
- Establishes and maintains logs and files of tapes, cards,
discs and other stored material.
- Answers questions and/or provides training to other word
processing operators, department or clerical staff.
- Reviews requested work to determine correct style and format
to comply with various publisher requirements and produces
- May operate graphics programs to produce figures, tables and
- Maintains equipment and evaluates hardware and software to
determine suitability for present and future needs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business English and spelling.
- Knowledge of word processing operations.
- Skill in typing from a variety of rough copy or from a
- Skill in entering, amending and retrieving data in desired
- Skill in producing well balanced grammatically correct and
attractively arranged material.
- Skill in the use of a variety of software packages.
years of experience in the operation of word processing equipment
which includes one year of technical typing experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which co
Next: Academic Advising Coordinator Job Description