Telephone Information Operator Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
position supervises all telephone operators as well as oversees all
operator functions. The position works directly with the public
informing them of the available telephone services.
the third in a series of three classifications. The responsibilities
of this position include supervising other operators and educating
the university student community on the telecommunication services
available to them. This position requires the employee to be
knowledgeable in regards to telecommunication services and have
strong verbal communication skills.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Maintains procedural manuals due to changes in operational
policies and procedures; assists with establishment of new
procedures as new equipment or programs are implemented.
- Coordinates updating of directories and events schedules
when notified of changes in order to ensure access to correct
- Devises work schedule for telephone operators ensuring
adequate coverage of telephone switchboard at all times; revises
work schedule as necessary.
- Prepares various reports such as traffic reports or weekly
progress reports as requested by supervisor.
- Reports telephone equipment failures by completing necessary
paperwork and notifying appropriate telecommunications
- Operates telephone switchboard in order to answer incoming
calls; determines intent of caller and makes appropriate
- Coordinates disbursement of student telephone information
through residence halls.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of centralized automated telephone systems.
- Knowledge of personal computers and operating systems.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in dealing diplomatically with the public under
- Skill in office administration.
years' experience operating a large automated telephone switchboard,
which includes one year supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Television Producer/Director Job Description