Technology Support Analyst Associate Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides support to users of information technology tools. Work
typically involves fielding questions and giving basic instruction,
routine delivery, installation, setup, maintenance, and upgrade of
computer hardware and software and media equipment, and some
troubleshooting when customer or public-site hardware and software
are not operating properly.
the second in a series of six classifications. Incumbents typically
perform a wider variety of routine tasks than those at the first
level, and add some troubleshooting and configuration recommendation
duties. Incumbents of the third level spend much more time on
non-routine tasks and troubleshooting, and often act as a support
leader on one or two services.
Examples of Duties:
- Responds to routine user questions on operation of computer
hardware and software and media equipment.
- Identifies causes of problems when hardware and software are
not operating properly and takes appropriate action; repairs or
resolves common problems and refers unusual or complex problems
to vendors, contractors, or others in the university.
- Advises customers on standard tools and combinations of
tools that are available to meet specific needs.
- Installs/delivers and sets up computer hardware and software
and media equipment; tests newly set up equipment to assure that
it works according to specifications.
- Maintains computer and media equipment, especially
shared-use and public-site equipment: cleans equipment, replaces
worn-out or missing parts, restores files, settings, and
software to pre-established standards, etc.
- Installs upgrades to hardware or software.
- Develops and delivers instructional short courses on the use
of supported technology products.
- Operates computing and media equipment to perform routine
functions such as file backups, event videotaping, data entry,
server account maintenance, report generations, etc.
- Maintains records and supplies associated with assignments,
for example, requests for service and status, counts of users in
classrooms and labs, status of equipment and software checked
out, maintenance parts in inventory, etc.
- Collaborates and teams with others on a variety of projects
related to the basic assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of a variety of relevant technology tools
sufficient to answer routine customer questions about use, to
recommend configurations to meet specific needs, and to solve
- Skill in developing and delivering short instructional
- Skill in identifying and resolving problems with computer
hardware and software and/or with media equipment.
- Considerable skill in serving customers in a positive and
- Skill in setup, installation, maintenance and operation of
computer hardware and software and/or media equipment.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
Associate's degree in technology or related field AND one year
experience providing information technology services; OR, Three
years' experience providing information technology services; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Certificates from recognized programs that indicate mastery of tools
and techniques relevant to the assignment may substitute for up to
six months of experience.
Next: Technology Support Analyst Coordinator Job Description