Technology Support Analyst Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides support to users of information technology tools. Work
typically involves a combination of troubleshooting, recommending
products for purchase, acting as a service support leader,
delivering instruction, using software applications to meet
specialized needs, and communicating with customers, other
technology specialists and vendors about services.
the third in a series of six classifications. Incumbents typically
spend much more time on non-routine tasks and troubleshooting than
those at the second level, and often act as support leader on one or
two services. Incumbents at the fourth level typically have in-depth
expertise on one or two software products or have expertise on
several products, and they spend considerable time on independent
analysis and design of solutions to unique problems or situations.
Examples of Duties:
- Identifies causes of problems when hardware and software are
not operating properly and takes appropriate action; repairs or
resolves a wide variety of problems and confers with or
escalates problems to vendors, contractors, or others in the
university to assure that resolution is reached.
- Advises customers on standard tools and combinations of
tools that are available or can be purchased to meet specific
- Leads project to develop and improve routine procedures, and
document the results.
- Mentors, trains, schedules, and leads staff responsible for
delivering various routine services, usually Technology Support
Analysts at lower levels or student workers.
- Establishes and maintains effective communications with
customers, other technology specialists, and vendors about
- Develops and delivers instructional short courses on the use
of supported technology products, and provides personalized
instruction one-on-one to meet specialized needs.
- Uses applications software such as database management
systems, Web page development tools, desktop publishing tools,
and presentation tools to develop custom products to meet user
- Installs and upgrades computer hardware and software; tests
newly set up equipment to assure that it works in coordination
with other associated products.
- Collaborates and teams with others on a variety of
technology and technology support projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of relevant technology tools sufficient to answer
customer questions about use, to recommend configurations to
meet specific needs, and to solve a wide variety of
- Knowledge of process improvement methods and approaches.
- Skill in developing and delivering instruction.
- Skill in identifying and resolving problems with computer
hardware and software and/or with media equipment.
- Skill in using applications software to develop custom
- Considerable skill in communicating with and serving
customers in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to mentor and lead technology staff who is providing
routine customer support services.
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
Bachelorís degree in technology or related field; OR, Four years
experience providing information technology services; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Certificates from recognized programs that indicate mastery of tools
and techniques relevant to the assignment may substitute for up to
six months of experience.
Next: Technology Support Analyst Assistant Job Description