Technology Services Specialist Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Consults with and advises users in the use of specialized and highly
technical equipment, software packages, and data communications.
Plans, directs, and conducts repair and maintenance of computers,
modems, communication networks, terminals printers, high speed laser
printers, copiers, fax machines, typewriters, and associated
peripheral equipment to component level.
fourth in a series of five classifications. Incumbents in this
classification lead the work of lower level Technology Services
Specialists in performing complex, highly technical diagnostic and
repair activities and design and modification of equipment.
Incumbents perform technical repairs and may specialize in a
particular type of equipment. Some lifting of equipment is required.
Examples of Duties:
- Leads, directs and adjusts priorities of field service
personnel in normal and special maintenance, repair,
configurations and installation of electronic office equipment.
- Develops and trains other maintenance personnel in hardware,
software, and/or communications.
- Contacts vendors or vendor company engineers to discuss and
define problems and solutions, arrange for outside repair,
configure or design networks.
- Installs software packages and/or equipment to include
configuration of software/hardware.
- Installs, services, and maintains communication packages
- Researches and diagnoses equipment, software, and
communication problems using various tests and equipment to
- Documents repair or work completed and/or estimates time and
cost of needed repair for customers.
- Develops, maintains, and distributes technical
data/information appropriate to the assignment.
- Troubleshoots very difficult equipment, software, and
communication problems; coordinates as liaison with other
departments on matters of network hardware and software
interfacing and services, and problem resolution.
- Markets organizational service and sales offerings to
departments; recommends hardware and software technology
- Recommends to management the needs of equipment site
including air conditioning, power requirements, grounding needs,
equipment hardware connection configuration, and facility
modification as required.
- Inventories assigned parts; reviews, analyzes, and
identifies sources and recommends purchases of parts, tools, or
supplies needed for building, repair, and maintenance of
- Assists department management with administrative functions,
long term planning, and communication of departmental goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of electronic equipment appropriate to the
- Knowledge of equipment operating procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of application, networking or system software
products specific to assignment.
- Knowledge of the theory and application of electronic and/or
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in the use of specialized technical equipment and
schematics used in the diagnosis of problems to the component
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree AND five years or related work experience; or six
years of related work experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved. Valid Arizona Drivers license may
be required for certain positions. CTIA A+ Certification, or
certifiable within six months of hiring may be required for certain
Next: Technology Services Specialist Senior Job Description