Systems Programmer Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, plans, analyzes, implements and integrates major systems
software projects. Provides technical direction and coordinates
computer specialist teams performing technical systems support
activities involving operating systems software.
third in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
lower level systems programmers in that incumbents have technical
expertise in assigned systems and supervise projects of a
developmental nature as well as systems maintenance.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises and coordinates the work activities of others.
- Plans, develops and coordinates maintenance or developmental
projects for operating systems or subsystem functions to include
installations of new software, equipment modifications, or
system software fixes.
- Reviews analyses and specifications for possible
improvements of operating system software; designs, develops,
authorizes or recommends new or revised systems or system
utilities as necessary.
- Determines feasibility of adapting complex software systems
and processes to the computing equipment.
- Monitors system backup procedures and directs recovery
operations in the event of destruction of all or part of the
operating system or other system components.
- Reviews documentation concerning the adaptation of complex
software systems and processes to the computing equipment;
recommends alternatives and solutions.
- Coordinates with administrative and technical personnel
concerning implementation and adaptation of complex operating
systems and related software to meet users needs.
- Coordinates with systems to provide information about system
capabilities and to recommend changes in procedures or other
solutions to improve efficiency and resolve problems.
- Identifies systems software problem trends.
- Monitors the testing and evaluation of new versions of
operating systems and related software.
- Directs the system generation process.
- Provides technical assistance and training to all
appropriate computer user personnel on hardware/software
features associated with the computer installation, operation
- Reviews diagnosis of operating systems software/hardware
failures and recommended solutions.
- Ensures the security and integrity of all systems and data.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of systems and
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and capabilities of
software and operating systems features currently available.
- Knowledge of multiprogramming computer operating methods and
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of project
- Skill in the use of the programming and job control language
specific to the assignment.
- Skill in communicating technical matters verbally and in
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field AND four
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR,
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND five
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR, Six
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Systems Programmer Senior Job Description