Systems Programmer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Analyzes, documents, installs, develops and maintains operating
system software including utility software and job control
languages. Provides technical support to users concerning system
software and utilities.
first in a series of three classifications. This classification is
distinguished from the Computer Programmers in that incumbents in
this class have specialized knowledge of assigned software
components and apply knowledge and skills in problem solving,
implementing modifications and new systems designs, yet do not have
the scope of technical expertise in assigned systems of the senior
Examples of Duties:
- Revises, enhances, updates and installs vendor supplied
systems software components to optimize performance of the
- Researches specific technical software and related questions
and problems from users, management, programming, operating and
- Coordinates between personnel using the computer systems and
vendor support personnel.
- Implements system backup procedures and participates in
recovery operations in the event of destruction of all or part
of the operating system or other system components.
- Reviews, tests and evaluates new versions of operating
systems and related software.
- Converts software specification requirements into
appropriate programming languages.
- Participates in the planning, installation and
implementation of equipment interfaces and peripheral devices.
- Analyzes software specifications for completeness and
compatibility with operating system capabilities.
- Reviews and documents software failures and takes corrective
action as directed.
- Provides technical assistance to applications programming
personnel and other appropriate user personnel relating to the
- Ensures the security and integrity of all systems and data.
- Recommends policies and procedures for the area.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of systems
and applications programming.
- Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of computer
operating systems and software programming applications.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures.
- Skill in the use of the programming and job control language
specific to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field AND two years
of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR,
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND three
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR,
Four years of systems and/or applications programming experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
Next: Systems Programmer Principal Job Description