Stock/Inventory Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Receives, stores and stocks materials, equipment, supplies or
merchandise. Compiles stock records. Requisitions standard items to
replenish stock. Incumbents typically work in the university
bookstore or similar retail operation.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Counts, sorts and checks in incoming articles; verifies
against requisitions, shipping notices or invoices; places
articles on sales floor shelves or in storeroom.
- Replenishes merchandise on shelves from storeroom stock;
rotates merchandise and keeps it orderly and neat in appearance.
- Checks inventory periodically to determine reordering needs
and verify with records; requisitions standard stock items,
supplies or materials within established limits; notifies
designated staff of fast moving items.
- Contact vendors to obtain information regarding shipping
status of orders or special orders placed by department.
- Places or changes price tags on merchandise; places tags,
markers or labels on shelves to identify stock.
- Packs and ships packages according to instructions using
boxes, packing materials and sealing tape.
- Records or documents changes in inventory, mark-ups or
markdowns of merchandise according to established procedures.
- Gathers requisitioned supplies, merchandise or materials and
prepares for delivery or pick-up.
- Assists customers or others in locating needed merchandise,
materials or supplies.
- Trains and assists part-time or student help.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of cataloging and inventory techniques.
- Knowledge of shipping and receiving practices.
- Skill in basic arithmetic.
year' stocking/inventory or related experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Student Academic Specialist Job Description