Senior Student Support Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides support to students within a program of study and with
prospective students; provides program procedures, policies, goals
and objectives, technical guidance and problem resolution.
the second in a series of three classifications. This position works
as part of a team in providing student support services. Student
Support Specialist, Seniors provide the full range of professional
knowledge and experience, which allows them to work independently
with less supervision and review. This position is involved in
planning and developing objectives, policies and procedures.
Examples of Duties:
- Assists with planning and development of a set of goals and
objectives for the student services unit in conjunction with the
college strategic planning; implements goals and objectives.
- Coordinates and administers student support to enrolled and
prospective students, such as course registration, graduation
processing, petitioning, withdrawals, program documentation,
computer accounts, information sessions, receptions, and student
- Counsels and confers with students providing program
procedures, policies, goals and objectives, technical guidance
and problem resolution; directs students to appropriate faculty
advisor for further program guidance.
- Provides administration and program activities and services
for the students in a degree program; interprets program
procedures, policies, goals and objectives; counsels and confers
with students providing technical guidance and problem
- Identifies target groups in consultation with academic
departments/programs for student recruitment on and off campus;
makes visits to appropriate groups (community colleges; schools,
- Assists in the collaboration with other colleges and central
university offices to ensure a coordinated approach to student
recruitment and retention activities.
- Initiates, develops and sustains strong positive relations
with program coordinators and department chairs to ensure
achievement of the mission and goals of the department and
- Reviews college student support initiatives to ensure
student, faculty and administration needs are met.
- Maintains student records on database, creates and provides
reports; provides contact point for enrolled and prospective
- Assists with accreditation review and developing and
facilitating workshops, meetings and seminars for students and
faculty; coordinates logistics, scheduling and related matters.
- Develops or assists in the development and production of
program advertising, promotional flyers and related recruitment
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, professional
development seminars and other student support related meetings.
- Implements curriculum goals and objectives as established by
faculty; recommends new or revised program policies, goals and
- Implements student recruitment initiatives and participates
in the evaluation of such initiatives.
- Assists in providing cross training to program staff as
required; may supervise undergraduate student assistants and
graduate student assistants.
- Serves as liaison with student organizations, faculty,
staff, administration, internal constituencies, and alumni in
facilitating program objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of organizational practices.
- Knowledge of issues pertaining to area of assignment.
- Knowledge of computerized student systems.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing work activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software.
Bachelor's degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND two
years of administrative and appropriate program experience; OR, Six
years of progressively responsible administrative and appropriate
program experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Senior Wafer Fabrication Operator Job Description