Senior Payroll Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs duties necessary for the accurate calculation of wages,
maintenance of records and distribution of payroll reports and
withheld monies. Acts as a resource and provides leadership to
second in a series of three classifications. Incumbents are
distinguished from the Payroll Specialist by performing advanced
technical work in a specialized area of payroll, make independent
judgments within established limits, and have some lead
Examples of Duties:
- Acts as a subject matter expert and/or resource to others in
the area of payroll processing.
- Reviews, analyzes and verifies payroll reports and documents
for accuracy; makes necessary adjustments or corrections through
journal entries or other established procedures.
- Analyzes and responds to complex matters requiring
comprehensive knowledge of payroll policies and procedures;
authorizes exceptions to the policy within defined limits.
- Researches and interprets a variety of complex technical
information in response to inquiries.
- Advises, interprets and provides direction to management and
staff on university rules and procedures, Federal, state and
local laws and regulations involving payroll.
- Authorizes, reviews and/or enters payroll transactions and
related data; completes appropriate forms to adjust wage/salary
account funds or to correct/balance a special situation.
- Researches, analyzes and resolves difficult or advanced
technical problems or questions presented by co-workers,
faculty, staff, students, and/or outside agency representatives
- Prepares and files a variety of local, state and federal
forms including, but not limited to: NRA tax forms, monthly,
quarterly and year end filings; responds to outside agency
requests for production.
- Recommends or participates in the development of new
procedures and policies related to payroll operations; assists
coordinate approved changes within payroll processing system;
updates affected policy/procedure manuals.
- Compiles financial, tax and payroll reports for both
internal and external purpose; submits to supervisor for review.
- Acts as liaison with staff, faculty, administrators and
students in answering questions, providing alternatives, and
- Coordinates schedules and conducts training sessions for
departmental payroll representatives to explain and/or update
information regarding payroll policies and procedures, state and
federal regulations and laws; tracks progress of specialized
work projects or department functions.
- Responds verbally or in writing to inquiries, complaints or
problems and makes necessary adjustments of a non-routine
- Coordinates and interacts with federal and state agencies on
specialized issues pertaining to employee compensation and
- Initiates payroll processing quality assurance reviews;
identifies training issues and/or problem prone processes to
ensure optimal efficiency and error-free operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of payroll principles, practices, regulations and
- Knowledge of basic accounting practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal payroll and
related tax regulations, legislation and guidelines including,
but not limited to: writs of garnishment, child support, levies,
subpoenas, non-resident alien and U.S. tax treaties.
- Knowledge of the practice, methods and techniques of process
- Skill in evaluating and analyzing technical payroll
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports.
- Skill in performing detailed computations.
- Skill in leading the work activities of others.
years of payroll processing experience, which includes two years of
clerical accounting/tax experience; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Senior Student Support Specialist Job Description