Senior Machinist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and operate machines and equipment to fabricate space-age metals,
ceramics, and other high-technology materials. Performs the more
complex machining operations, including working with computerized
equipment to support the needs of the research community.
a second in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished
from the Machinist in that incumbents perform the more complex
machining operations, play a more significant role in the design of
prototype instruments, and utilize a broader variety of materials
with varying capabilities.
Examples of Duties:
- Fabricates and modifies research components using space-age
metals, ceramics, and other high-tech materials.
- Sets up and operates lathes, milling machines, drill
presses, and related equipment, some of which is computerized,
often working within a tolerance of .001 inch.
- Performs machining operations requiring knowledge of the
principles of metallurgy, and uses precision hand tools in the
fabrication and modification of mechanical, electrical, and
- Works closely with researchers in the design and adaptation
of research components.
- Fabricates, modifies, and repairs scientific research
equipment, prototypes, and related mechanical equipment.
- Fabricates jigs and fixtures.
- Replaces shafts, bearings, bushings, belts, shear pins,
pulleys, and gears.
- Installs, repairs, and maintains machine shop equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operation of lathes, milling machines, and
drill presses, including computerized equipment.
- Skill in the fabrication, modification, and repair of
scientific instrumentation and equipment.
- Skill in the operation of lathes, milling machines, and
- Skill in the operation of computer National Control (CNC)
- Skill in drafting by Auto Cad (Computer-Aided design
years' machinist experience; OR, Completion of a two-year machine
tool technology program And Four years machinist experience. Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Senior Payroll Specialist Job Description