Senior Desktop Publishing Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs desktop publishing and word processing functions in
preparation for online publication of university catalogs and the
university's system of policies and procedures manuals. Assignments
involve complex, technically oriented documents and the use of
specialized software packages. Incumbents receive general
instructions regarding tasks and require supervisor's assistance
only on special projects/assignments and may coordinate the work of
the second in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished
from the Desktop Publishing Specialist in that the incumbent takes
the lead on projects and duties are somewhat more specialized.
Examples of Duties:
- Performs desktop publishing and word processing of complex
materials for the general and graduate catalogs. Enters and
updates content, implements correlative changes, designs and
formats page layout, creates and modifies multiple master pages,
adds extensive hyperlinked cross-references, and applies
multiple formats and styles for specific uses.
- May take the lead in specialized areas or projects and
coordinate the work of subordinates. Generates indexes by adding
and updating appropriate index markers; updates text insets and
scans, edits and imports photos; ensures that files comply with
printer specifications; facilitates ease of conversion to HTML
and PDF formats for the Web; makes editorial and proofreading
- Proofs documents and corrects files; assists with the
development and revision of checklists and procedures.
- Performs Web publishing through original program coding of
HTML tags to maintain the ASU system of online administrative
policies and procedures manuals. Updates content and applies
appropriate HTML tagging; tests and troubleshoots files posted
in the Web environment; applies formats and styles to text with
multiple levels of headings, complex tabular material and other
features; adds meta-tags for key word searches.
- Performs extensive linking following detailed target and
anchoring guidelines; prepares exhibit files using scanning,
graphic editing and PDF conversion software.
- Researches and tests current software and software features
to improve accuracy and efficiency of production; evaluates new
hardware and software to determine suitability for present and
future needs; identifies and takes corrective action to resolve
routine hardware/software problems.
- Coordinates and performs cross-training for coworkers on
software, HTML, and desktop publishing and develops appropriate
- Acts as backup office support and performs general office
duties such as preparing HRMS forms and monitoring catalog
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Web site server software, such as Adobe GoLive.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
- Skill in the use of various software packages including
desktop publishing, graphic design, word processing and
- Skill in the use of HTML and desktop publishing layout.
- Skill in the assimilation of information from various
formats into a common format.
- Skill in presenting and implementing project tracking
- Skill in both written and verbal communication.
- Skill in project coordination and problem analysis and
years of word processing/desktop publishing experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
Next: Senior Environmental Graphic Designer Job Description