Research Nurse Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides nursing care and assists in the coordination of clinical
research projects by recruiting, interviewing, and scheduling study
participants. Performs medical testing as required.
first in a series of two classifications. Incumbents may be required
to travel as some of the testing may be performed in participant's
home. Incumbents work with bio-hazardous materials such as blood.
Examples of Duties:
- Participates in the recruitment and selection of
participants for medical studies by interviewing potential
participants and reviewing medical history to determine if
eligibility requirements are met.
- Explains project to participant and enrolls them into the
- Schedules and/or performs medical testing, such as drawing
blood, taking blood pressure reading, testing for allergies, and
pulmonary function testing.
- Maintains contact with participants throughout the project;
searches for participants that have changed addresses during the
- Mails questionnaires to participants to complete or ask them
questions by telephone or in person; compiles results of
- Performs procedures such as administering medications,
measuring skin lesions, preparing patient for surgery, and
assisting physician in surgeries.
- Assesses participants during clinic visit, determining if
patient is experiencing side effects or other problems; notifies
principal investigator if problems arise.
- Provides medical information to the participants, such as
how to administer drugs and how to care for a particular
- Reviews medical records of study participants or possible
participants to obtain relevant data.
- Inventories and requisitions supplies and equipment;
arranges for repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Completes case report forms for each study participant and
documents medical data in the patient record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in medical assessment techniques.
- Skill in maintaining detailed records.
Graduate of an accredited nursing program AND two years of
professional nursing experience. Current licensure to practice as a
Registered Nurse in the State of Arizona.
Next: Research Specialist Senior Job Description