Police Officer Recruit Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
level classification for purpose of acquiring training to achieve
Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (AZ POST)
certification. Duration not to exceed six months.
first in a series of five classifications. It is distinguished from
the Police Officer in that incumbents do not possess AZ POST
certification as a Police Officer.
Examples of Duties:
- Attends a minimum of a fifteen-week training program under
supervision of AZ POST instructors to acquire minimum knowledge
and skills necessary to perform in Police Officer
- Reads and studies instructional or informational material in
order to achieve elementary working knowledge.
- Prepares for and takes written and physical test to prove
knowledge and skill levels.
- Receives field training from certified Field Training
Officer (FTO), utilizing and applying knowledge from classroom
work; receives evaluations from FTO to track progress.
- Obtains certification upon meeting AZ POST established,
minimum standards and passing required examinations (or waiver
examinations) within six month period.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in analytical, objective observance of situations and
quick decision making.
- Skill in managing situations firmly, courteously, tactfully
- Skill in recording information accurately and completely.
school diploma or GED AND must meet Arizona Peace Officer Standards
and Training (AZ POST) AND University standards for appointment as a
peace officer; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
been achieved. Possession of current Arizona Type D driver's license
is required upon employment.
Next: Police Officer Senior Job Description