Photographer Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a wide variety of photographic responsibilities and
services in fulfillment of department or client requests for use of
photographs in various publications, lectures, research,
documentation and publicity. Trains and assigns work to photo
fifth in a series of five classifications. It is distinguished from
the Photographer Senior in that the incumbent establishes user fees
and guidelines for reproduction of prints, has contact with
international clients and makes decisions on whether to grant or
deny permission to reproduce prints in the collection and/or
photographs and writes technical articles for reports, films and
museum exhibits involving consultation and research. This
classification typically reports to a Director or Assistant
Examples of Duties:
- Trains, coordinates and supervises photo laboratory
operations and processing personnel; schedules and plans
photographic production by setting priorities for processing and
inspecting work for quality; consults with national and
international clients regarding photographic reproduction
- Performs specialized artistic, technical and scientific
photo assignments requiring extensive knowledge of photographic
equipment capabilities and techniques; determines such elements
as equipment to be used, film type, lighting requirements,
composition, background and exposure time.
- Conducts extensive research on subject matter; consults with
appropriate experts and documents information before and after
- Administers copyright regulations, granting or denying
permission to reproduce prints in the collection; negotiates
terms of copyright and, at times, works with attorneys in
resolving copyright violations.
- Writes material for articles to be published and for book
- Provides written documentation and information in relation
to photographs and policies generated from within the
department; provides clients with guidelines for obtaining
permission from artists or copyright holders outside the
university ensuring that reproduction materials can be legally
- Negotiates with various groups and interviews them for
photographic documentation of activities.
- Establishes user fee amounts and guidelines for reproduction
of prints; negotiates price adjustments with clients.
- Determines technical and logistical methods for reproduction
of antique nitrate negatives.
- Selects vendors for subcontracted work.
- Organizes and maintains extensive photographic print, slide
and negative and computer/data files.
- Provides technical and creative consultation to faculty,
staff and students regarding photography assignments.
- Prepares annual section budget.
- Monitors inventory of equipment and laboratory supplies;
orders supplies as needed according to departmental policies
and/or budget constraints.
- Recommends the purchase of new equipment to supervisor; test
equipment and new film materials to determine what equipment and
supplies are most suitable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of techniques, principles and equipment of modern
photography including still, motion, color, and black and white
- Knowledge of film properties, equipment and optics and their
suitability for generalized and specialized photography.
- Knowledge of still photography, film and video equipment
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in documentation of museum objects, archival
processing and storage procedures.
- Skills in organizing work of self and others and in meeting
- Skill in the use of computer hardware and software.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Photography, Fine Arts or related field AND
five years experience in photography studio work and
photojournalism, which includes photo processing; OR, Eight years
experience in photography studio work and photojournalism which
includes photo processing; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Photographer Senior Job Description