Payroll Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Maintains and processes payroll records and reports for accounting
of salary/wages due, accruals, deductions and other payroll
first in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from
the Payroll Specialist in that incumbents perform basic payroll
functions and do not have the technical expertise, lead
responsibilities or the decision-making authority accorded to the
Payroll Specialist level.
Examples of Duties:
- Maintains various payroll records such as timecard sheets,
automatic bank deposit authorizations, payroll journals and
ledgers; makes required adjustments through established
- Prepares salary and wage payrolls including deductions,
accruals and the issuance and processing of timecards.
- Monitors the account distribution of salary and wage
payments including correcting prior distributions.
- Balances or reconciles assigned payroll records; resolves
and adjusts discrepancies; analyzes computer reports to identify
and locate sources of error.
- Gathers and analyzes payroll data; makes recommendations and
prepares various payroll reports to be submitted to supervisor.
- Consults with university faculty and staff to discuss,
research, evaluate and resolve routine salary and wage problems
such as improper deductions and accruals; refers more difficult
problems or those requiring decision making outside of limits to
- Operates a variety of general office equipment such as
adding machines, calculators, typewriters, copiers and personal
computers to access payroll information.
- Makes and checks routine arithmetic calculations; posts
figures and enters data on appropriate payroll documents and/or
enters data in computer system.
- Interprets, explains and recommends changes to rules and
regulations as they relate to payroll.
- Posts and corrects items improperly coded; prepares and
sends forms to correct the computer entry.
- Responds to queries from outside agencies such as financial
or credit organizations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of mathematical calculations and book keeping
- Knowledge of payroll processing reporting.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of related clerical accounting experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Payroll Specialist Job Description