Parking and Transportation Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
organizes and manages overall operations of university parking
permits, appeals and enforcement activities.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. Incumbents
are typically involved in special project work relating to Parking
and Transportation services as well as managing the day-to-day
activities of various sections of the department, supervising first
line supervisors and typically report to a director. Incumbents also
act as a hearing officer to adjudicate difficult cases and have
daily confrontations with hostile individuals.
Examples of Duties:
- Plans, organizes and directs operations and work activities
of various sections within the department to include permits,
appeals, enforcement, alternative modes and field operations
through day-to-day contact with subordinate supervisors.
- Reviews, researches, develops and recommends revisions to
university wide registration, appeals and enforcement
procedures, regulations and programs dealing with parking and
- Analyzes and incorporates state codes into university
policies and regulations and ensures communication of changes
- Provides information and consultation to the director on
operating costs and budget planning for activities such as
parking lot repair, new lot construction, meter repair and
- Informs university department representatives of parking
problems, changes to signs or availability of space.
- Adjudicates grievances of applicants dissatisfied with
appeals determinations and defends determinations before the
parking hearing board if necessary.
- Conducts utilization studies of parking spaces and lots by
preparing data collection forms, deciding on areas for study,
assigning personnel to collect data and analyzing data to
determine peak usage and average usage times.
- Updates parking and bicycle regulation booklets to include
policy changes and revises maps; designs the cover and interacts
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of state codes and university regulations dealing
with parking and enforcement.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration
or related field AND five (5) years' progressively responsible
supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Parking Appeals Officer Job Description