Nurse Practitioner Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides medical care and treatment to clients in the Student Health
Center and supervises a section of the center.
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Nurse Practitioner in that incumbents have administrative and
supervisory responsibilities in addition to the clinical duties.
Incumbents supervise Nurse Practitioners.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminated assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Coordinates activities of section with other sections to
ensure efficient service.
- Determines and documents health histories and performs
- Orders, interprets, and evaluates diagnostic tests to
identify and assess client's clinical problems.
- Identifies minor and/or acute illnesses and initiates
- Conducts care for emergency situations such as illness or
injury and initiates arrangements for continuing care.
- Conducts on-going health care and clinical management of
stable, chronically ill clients.
- Maintains an on-going health education program with the
assistance and guidance of a health educator.
- Provides medical advice and information to client during
each visit to ensure understanding by the client of his/her
condition and treatment.
- Consults with other health care team members in regard to
- Prescribes medication or other forms of treatment.
- Prepares medical record of client encounters.
- Refers clients to outside medical and support facilities.
- Gathers and analyzes statistical data to aid in developing
plans for the Student Health Center.
- Serves as clinical instructor and preceptor for nursing
graduate students, which includes conducting lectures on proper
care and techniques, writing exams, and monitoring care given to
clients by students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of evaluation plans and treatment of clients with
a variety of illnesses.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in patient care.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in the use of medical equipment utilized in area of
Bachelor's degree in Nursing from an accredited Nursing program AND
satisfactory completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program
AND three years of professional Nurse Practitioner experience.
Current licensure to practice nursing in the State of Arizona; AND,
certified as a Nurse Practitioner by the Arizona State Board of
Next: Nurse Senior Job Description