Medical Transcriber Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Transcribes medical reports as dictated by clinicians.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. This
classification is distinguished from the Secretarial series in that
the majority of time is spent transcribing medical material.
Examples of Duties:
- Transcribes a variety of materials such as surgical reports,
consultation reports, referral letters, patient histories and
physical examination reports.
- Ensures accuracy of typed reports as to spelling,
punctuation, sentence structure, appropriate format and medical
- Maintains records and logs of material transcribed, date of
transcription, and name of person requesting service.
- Instructs others in the operation of transcription
- Files correspondence, reports, x-ray films, and records.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Skill in transcribing medical reports, summaries, letters,
and other material.
years of typing experience, which includes one year transcribing
material involving medical terminology; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Model Job Description